Apply to 4 or More
Apply to 4 or More™ is a national movement to encourage all students — but primarily low-income, college-ready students — to apply to at least four colleges, including:
- At least one safety: Where students’ admission credentials exceed those of the most recently admitted freshman class.
- At least two good fits: Where students’ admission credentials are equivalent to those of the most recently admitted freshman class.
- At least one reach: Where the institution’s average admission criteria for admitted students exceeds the student’s admission credentials.
Students in receipt of this packet should visit Apply to 4 or More to receive information personalized for them.
Applying to Good Fit Colleges
Our goal is to increase the number of low-income, college-ready students who graduate from a college that matches their academic abilities and is a good fit from a financial and social perspective. To do this, students must first apply to and enroll in these schools.
Research shows that students from low-income backgrounds apply to fewer colleges than their more-affluent peers. Research also shows that the more college applications a student submits, the higher the likelihood that student will enroll in a four-year institution.
See also: 10 Things Effective Counselors Do to Help Students Apply to 4 or More Colleges (.pdf/446 KB)
Most students who receive the Apply to 4™ packets are chosen because they used a fee waiver to register for the SAT® or SAT Subject Tests™. Others are chosen on the basis of U.S. Census data. PSAT/NMSQT® and SAT scores are taken into account to ensure that these students are on track to be ready for college.
This selection method provides a strong estimate of income, but a small number of students who receive packets and waivers may not be low income.
The names of eligible students are not disclosed.
Inside the Packets
- Personalized cover letter
- “College: How to Get There from Here” (a college application timeline)
- Some packets may contain up to four college application fee waivers. Students should only use the fee waivers if they meet the eligibility criteria.
Counselors: Take the Pledge
Take the 4 or More pledge to help all college-ready seniors find and apply to the four or more colleges that fit them best. After you sign the pledge, you’ll receive:
- A welcome kit with tools, resources, templates, and promotional materials.
- Professional development opportunities.
- Local and national recognition opportunities.
- An online survey for you to share your feedback with us.
For More Information
- Apply to 4: A website for students in receipt of packets.
- Email (for counselors): firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Email (for students and parents): email@example.com
- Phone: 866-444-4025
- Webinars and resources