Realize Your College Potential
Realize Your College Potential (RYCP) is part of ongoing research that sends packets of customized college information and college application fee waivers to high-achieving, low-income, high school seniors.
Students in receipt of this packet should visit Realize Your College Potential to receive information personalized for them. Students will also receive follow-up emails from the College Board.
Finding the Right Fit
Our goal is to enable more low-income students to enroll in a college that is a good fit for them, academically, socially, and financially. To do this, students must have the information necessary to explore the full range of college options.
Research shows that:
- Low-income students tend to apply to fewer colleges than higher-income students with similar academic records.
- Low-income students apply to far fewer colleges that fit their academic performance than their higher-income peers.
- Sending customized college information directly to these students encourages them to apply to a wider array of colleges and universities.
Students are chosen to receive RYCP packets based on their academic achievement and estimated income. We select students who meet both of the following criteria:
- Top 10%–15% in their class (based on PSAT/NMSQT® and SAT® scores and GPA)
- Bottom 33% of the income distribution (roughly $40K–$50K and below)
Income estimates are based on data from the U.S. Census and other federal sources. We do not rely on self-reported income information. Research shows this to be a reliable way to estimate income, but there may be a small number of students who are not low income and still receive RYCP packets.
The names of eligible students are not disclosed.
Inside the Packets
- Personalized college lists that include “safety,” “good fit,” and “reach” schools
- College application fee waivers and instructions. Students should only use the fee waivers if they meet the eligibility criteria.
- “Finding the Right College for You” (.pdf/4MB)
- State grant and scholarship information (.pdf/603KB)
- A list of colleges that meet 100% of financial need (.pdf/497KB)
- Four-year graduation rates at four-year colleges (.pdf/783KB)
- Key factors in building a college list (.pdf/634KB)
- Information on college net price
- Common Application and Universal College Application information (.pdf/576KB)
- College Application Timeline information (.pdf/493KB)
For More Information
- Realize Your College Potential: A secure, personalized website for students in receipt of packets
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 866-444-4025
- Webinars and resources