AP® International Leadership Program
The College Board is pleased to announce the first AP® International Leadership Program, a two-week education opportunity in Beijing, China. The AP ILP is overseen and administered by Confucius Institute/Hanban. In conjunction with AP Chinese, this program provides immersion opportunities for students that encourage the development of more advanced and proficient speakers of Chinese. If you took the AP Chinese exam, consider challenging yourself this summer through this exciting scholarship program!
During the AP International Leadership Program (APILP), participants will:
- Participate in Chinese language and culture courses at a university in Beijing;
- Enrich their Chinese language knowledge through coursework fully taught in Chinese;
- Explore how the Chinese language is used in a variety of international career paths;
- Network with students from across the US and China in a fully immersive, international setting;
- Be part of a community of young, aspiring international leaders;
- Collaborate closely with a Chinese academic advisor on a field project; and
- Visit cultural sites in and around Beijing.
August 4-18, 2014
Who is eligible?
To be considered for acceptance, applicants must:
- Be 18 years of age or older before August 1, 2014;
- Hold a valid U.S. passport with an expiration date of February 4, 2015 or later;
- Be enrolled as an undergraduate student in a U.S. college/university;
- Have taken the AP Chinese Language and Culture exam in 2010—2013 and scored a '3' or above;
- Currently be enrolled in Chinese language courses at the college/university level
- The College Board will review applications and make recommendations to Hanban for participation.
- Selected participants will be asked to review and sign a document which outlines the terms and conditions of participation before being finally accepted into the program.
Note: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis; interested candidates are encouraged to apply as early as possible. All applications are subject to individual review and approval and compliance with applicable laws.
What are the costs to the participant?
If selected, the program participant is responsible for a $100 non-refundable administrative fee, and the following costs:
- US domestic travel to a designated international hub airport.
- International travel insurance
- US passport application fees
- Personal miscellaneous costs (if any)
What is included?
The following costs are covered by the program:
- International round-trip air tickets to Beijing from designated U.S. hub cities (program participants will be assigned and notified of their U.S. hub city for international departure on group flights)
- Local and inter-city transportation costs
- Accommodation and meals on a secure university campus
- Admission tickets to planned cultural sites
- Chinese tourist visa fees
Do I need a passport?
Yes! Participants are required to have a valid passport with at least six (6) months validity from the date of departure (i.e., with an expiration date of February 4, 2015, or later). Proof of a valid passport will be required to confirm participation of selected applicants.
Note: If you do not have a valid passport, please obtain one immediately. For more information, please visit http://travel.state.gov/passport.
How can I apply?
- Complete online application form here: www.collegeboard.org/APILP/application
- Provide the following additional materials:
- Copy of college/university transcript (official copy not necessary);
- Two (2) signed letters of recommendation (one of which should be from a current Chinese language teacher)
Please ask your teachers to send their letters of recommendation directly to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: "AP ILP Recommendation for (Your name)"
- Send all application materials to the address below via email (preferred), fax or mail. Applications and all additional materials must be received by May 30, 2014, to be considered.
Chinese Language and Culture Initiatives
The College Board
45 Columbus Ave.
New York, NY 10023
FAX: (347) 649-2026
Please e-mail any questions to email@example.com or call 212-520-8650.
*If you have any questions on eligibility, please contact us.