South Bronx Preparatory
Ellen Flanagan, Principal
360 East 145th Street, Bronx, New York 10454
Phone: (718) 292-2211
Fax: (718) 292-2172
Accent on Achievement
South Bronx Preparatory is designed to promote academic excellence that directly leads to college entrance and success. The school draws on a highly trained cadre of teachers and staff and the curriculum, guidance, and assessment resources of the New York City Department of Education and the College Board. Employing a powerful combination of dedicated, high-caliber leadership, a rigorous, accelerated college-prep curriculum, an emphasis on positive youth development, and a personalized education program, South Bronx Preparatory fosters the high achievement and healthy growth and development of every student.
The school is uniquely structured to educate, support, and guide students from middle school through high school graduation, building the bridges from the earlier grades that ultimately lead to college success. Students are prepared to meet the high standards required for college admission, as well as meeting or exceeding New York City and State learning standards and proficiency requirements.
The Circle of Family and Community
A safe, respectful, and welcoming school environment is a hallmark of South Bronx Preparatory and the result of the successful cooperation of faculty, staff, and students. Family and community also play a vitally important role in the education of our students. The active participation of parents and guardians is a critical component of our students' academic success and emotional well-being. Parents and guardians, as well as students, are expected to sign contracts clarifying expectations and responsibilities as active members of the school community.
Special School Features
- Reduced class size in all grades, 75 students per grade
- Computers in every classroom
- Academic tutoring and homework help
- Advanced Placement Program® (AP®) courses
- SAT Readiness ProgramTM
- College admissions guidance center
- Individualized college planning
- Community service opportunities
- Small group advisory
- State-of-the-art science laboratory
- Writers' Express writing program
- Roundabout Theater program
- After-school programs
- Each student must take at least two AP courses by twelfth grade
- Students and parents/guardians must sign an agreement outlining the school's rules, procedures, and expectations
- Students must adhere to the school's dress policy
The mission of South Bronx Preparatory is to facilitate learning so that all students can master the challenges of a rigorous curriculum that will guide them to college entrance and success. We are committed to establishing a strong school community of families, teachers, and staff in support of our core mission. Our students will learn to think critically, communicate effectively, and be open to new experiences and ideas as they become lifelong learners.