The College Board's Summer Institute for International Admissions
Georgetown University, Washington, D.C.
June 17–20, 2013
The Summer Institute for International Admissions offers professional development to new and experienced college counselors at overseas international schools. During this institute, counselors will receive support and comprehensive training needed to guide students and parents through the college planning, application and admission process.
What can I expect at the Summer Institute for International Admissions?
The Institute consists of three-plus days of training sessions led by seasoned overseas college counselors and U.S. university admission professionals. Institute attendees will participate in group assignments, in-class exercises, and workshop and panel discussions with fellow counselors and faculty.
Typical topics include:
- College costs and funding for U.S. study
- Best practices in international school counseling
- Reviewing components of a college application
- Guiding English language learners
- Transcripts and testing in admissions
- Social media and college admission
By the end of the Summer Institute, you'll be able to:
- Understand what university admission officers look for when reviewing college applications
- Help students and parents determine which institutions fit best with students' university criteria and career aspirations
- Direct students and parents to the most effective online college planning and financial aid resources
- Understand components of building an application, including crafting college essays
- Provide appropriate guidance to different international student groups, such as third culture kids, global nomads, English language learners, etc.
Pre- and Post-Institute Workshops
The Pre-Institute New Counselor Workshop offers fundamentals in running a comprehensive university counseling program at an international school. Overseas counselors with one year or less of experience in college admission counseling will receive basic tools, calendars and resources that will provide a framework for information shared in the Summer Institute.
The Post-Institute Non-U.S. Admissions Workshop offers resources and tips for facilitating university applications to other countries including U.K. (UCAS), Australia, Canada, Singapore and elsewhere.
Special Events During the Summer Institute
- Cultural Night at Jack's Lounge
- College Fair
- Visit to American University
How Do I Register for the Summer Institute?
Request a Summer Institute registration form for this year's Summer Institute.