A Day with an AP® English Language and Composition Reader
For new and experienced AP teachers
For new and experienced AP English Language and Composition teachers, this one-day workshop provides a behind-the-scenes look at the AP Reading, during which AP free-response questions are read by more than 11,000 college faculty and AP teachers from around the world. In this workshop, participants will learn about the mechanics of the scoring process, the roles of the various contributors and the steps to ensure consistent grading. As part of the workshop, participants will engage in an AP Reading-style training on applying a scoring guide based on a current free-response question, and they will participate in a mock reading using the scoring guide.
Participants will understand the AP Reading and learn strategies for consistently applying scoring guides in formative and summative assessments.
After attending this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Understand the roles and responsibilities of the Chief Reader, Question Leader and Table Leader in the AP Reading.
- Develop strategies for the consistent application of scoring guides.
- Consistently apply scoring guides for free-response questions and similar classroom tasks.
- Apply strategies to prepare students for the free-response portion of the AP Exam.
- Welcome and Introductions
- Equity and Access
- The AP Reading
- Write in Response to a Free-Response Question
- Analyze the Rubric
- Mock Reading
- Classroom Connections
- Become an AP Reader
- Strategy Plan