Pre-AP Strategies: AP Vertical Teams for English
Learn how to strengthen an AP Vertical Team
This interactive workshop gives middle and high school teachers the tools to strengthen an AP Vertical Team and to align the curriculum vertically across grade levels within the English discipline. Members of the Vertical Team will examine the components of good text analysis and the connections between the way students read and how effectively they write. Through the implementation and vertical articulation of concrete strategies, participants will gain a deeper understanding of the skills and knowledge students need at the Pre-AP level.
- Participants will learn how to align instructional strategies in the English curriculum in order to improve students’ reading and writing skills and prepare them for AP and college-level work.
After attending this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Implement strategies to improve students’ abilities to analyze a text by:
- Developing a core vocabulary with which to analyze text.
- Exploring distinct levels of text analysis that draw upon spatial/conceptual, verbal, or linguistic thinking.
- Implement strategies to improve students’ ability to transition between close reading and effective writing.
- Create an action plan for developing and sustaining an AP Vertical Team.
- Welcome and Introductions
- Laying the Foundation (Workshop Guiding Question, Purpose of AP Vertical Team)
- Curriculum Alignment
- Effective Reading and Writing
- Sustaining the Vertical Team
- Workshop Summary and Closing