Pre-AP: Effective Thinking Strategies for All Students
Learn to use research-based thinking strategies for classroom practice
This one-day workshop provides middle and high school teachers with research-based strategies to help students activate their background knowledge, deepen comprehension and develop academic vocabulary. This workshop explores the learning benefits of thinking strategies for classroom practice.
- Participants will learn cross-curricular strategies that will help them meet the needs of a diverse population of students.
After attending this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Understand how thinking strategies affect learning.
- Build students' reading comprehension through specific research-based strategies.
- Apply comprehension strategies in the classroom.
- Welcome and Introductions
- Laying the Foundation (Workshop Guiding Question, Building Equity and Access, Thinking Skills—The Key to Comprehension)
- Building Background Knowledge
- Building Reading Comprehension
- Building Academic Vocabulary
- Workshop Summary and Closing