Pre-AP® Interdisciplinary Strategies for English and the Social Sciences
Expand your interdisciplinary teaching skills, techniques, and knowledge in this workshop
This interactive workshop provides teachers with research-based strategies to build and strengthen students' skills within the English and social sciences disciplines. An emphasis is placed on interdisciplinary reading and analyzing text strategies and teaching students writing on demand. Participants will leave with a better understanding of the skills needed for AP English and the social sciences, how to foster those skills in Pre-AP course work, and with a plan for transferring the new strategies to the classroom.
The workshop conforms to the College Board's mission, particularly in promoting access and equity, the standards of the National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE) and the National Council for the Social Studies (NCSS), to the rigor expected in AP courses, and to the AP Vertical Teams approach.
- Participants will learn research-based strategies to teach reading and text analysis and writing on demand.
After attending this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Identify the skills that students must learn to read and analyze text at the college level.
- Learn the following strategies for reading comprehension, text analysis and writing.
- Questioning the Author
- Starting at the End
- Analyzing Prompts
- Prewriting from Prompts
- Ten-Minute Freewrites
- Plan how to implement the strategies in the classroom.
- Welcome and Introductions
- Laying the Foundation (Workshop Guiding Question, Equity and Access, Overview of AP English and social sciences courses, Analyzing AP Writing Prompts)
- Reading Comprehension
- Writing on Demand
- Workshop Summary and Closing