Pre-AP: Strategies in Mathematics—Developing Algebraic Thinking
Expand your math teaching skills, techniques and knowledge in this workshop
This one-day workshop is for mathematics teachers in grades 6-10. It provides teachers with hands-on activities and techniques to help students develop algebraic reasoning skills. A key feature of this workshop is the use of graphing calculators to help students visualize and explore algebra from graphic, numerical and analytical perspectives, as well as from traditional symbolic representations.
This workshop will provide concrete strategies for helping students develop a process for algebraic thinking.
After attending this workshop, participants will be able to implement techniques to help students:
- Use patterns to find relationships
- Use tables to investigate relationships
- Describe patterns using both recursive and closed relationships
- Analyze change using graphs and tables
- Creatively and effectively use graphing calculators to produce meaningful solutions to mathematical problems.
- Activity 1: The Block Party
- Activity 2: Phone Rates
- Activity 3: Get a Job
- Activity 4: Walk the Line