Pre-AP Strategies: AP Vertical Teams for Mathematics
Learn how to strengthen an AP Vertical Team
This interactive workshop gives middle and high school teachers the tools to strengthen an AP Vertical Team and to align the curriculum vertically across grade levels within the mathematics discipline. Members of the Vertical Team will learn how to create a curriculum that emphasizes key concepts of mathematics at all levels of instruction. Through the implementation and vertical articulation of concrete strategies, participants will gain a deeper understanding of the skills and knowledge students need at the Pre-AP level.
- Participants will learn how to align a curriculum vertically to give students a conceptual understanding of mathematics.
After attending this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Align a curriculum across grade levels by organizing instruction around the key concepts of mathematics.
- Identify, develop and use rich mathematical problems and activities that formatively assess students’ understanding of key concepts, problem-solving methods and reasoning skills.
- Adapt AP free-response questions for use in Pre-AP classrooms.
- Create an action plan for sustaining the AP Vertical Team.
- Welcome and Introductions
- Laying the Foundation (Workshop Guiding Question, Building Equity and Access, Purpose of AP Vertical Team)
- Conceptual Organization of Mathematics Instruction
- Developing and Assessing Student Understanding
- Curriculum Alignment
- Sustaining the Vertical Team
- Workshop Summary and Closing