AP® Biology: Introduction to AP Biology (Online Professional Development)
For new and experienced AP teachers
This course will provide AP Biology teachers with insight into the AP Biology course and concrete strategies for designing and implementing an effective curriculum. Participants will explore the AP Biology curriculum framework, summative and formative assessments, inquiry-based teaching practices, practice exams, and tools available for syllabus development. Participants will finish the course with the ability to confidently create a syllabus that incorporates the curriculum framework and inquiry-based teaching practices.
Participants will be introduced to the Curriculum Framework that is the foundation of the AP Biology course and exam, and to the importance of incorporating inquiry-based instruction and labs into their AP Biology course.
After attending this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Apply the components of the Curriculum Framework to their classroom instruction and investigative labs.
- Lead their students in practicing and preparing for the exam.
- Design a syllabus that aligns with the redesigned course.
- Move their instructional practice, labs, and classroom design to reflect a more inquiry-based instructional model.
- Unit 1: Introduction
- Unit 2: Introducing the Curriculum Framework
- Unit 3: Understanding the AP Biology Exam
- Unit 4: Inquiry-Based Instruction
- Unit 5: Syllabus Development and Course Conclusion