AP® Chemistry: An Overview of AP Chemistry (Online Professional Development)
For new and experienced AP teachers
This course provides AP teachers with a review of the AP Chemistry course and concrete strategies for designing and implementing an effective AP Chemistry curriculum. Participants will explore the AP Chemistry Curriculum Framework, summative and formative assessments, inquiry-based teaching practices, practice exams, and tools available for syllabus development. Participants will finish the course with the ability to confidently create a syllabus that incorporates the curriculum framework and inquiry-based teaching practices.
Participants will review the components of the AP Chemistry course and curriculum framework and explore tools for designing and implementing an effective AP Chemistry curriculum.
After attending this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Apply concrete strategies for designing and implementing an effective AP Chemistry curriculum by creating a unit of study based on the curriculum framework.
- Develop activities, assessments, and laboratory investigations that engage students in acting and thinking like scientists, drawing from the curriculum framework.
- Produce strategies they can implement in their classroom to effectively prepare students for the AP Exam.
- Develop or revise a syllabus to align with course requirements
- Unit 1: Workshop Introduction
- Unit 2: The AP Chemistry Curriculum Framework
- Unit 3: Understanding the Exam
- Unit 4: Instructional Design and Assessment
- Unit 5: Inquiry-Based Instruction
- Unit 6: Syllabus Development
- Unit 7: Workshop Summary and Closing