AP® Chemistry: Transitioning to Inquiry-Based Labs (Online Professional Development)
For new and experienced AP teachers
Inquiry-based labs allow students to engage in science practices that require them to think and act like scientists. This online course will provide AP Chemistry teachers with a means to understand inquiry and its place in the classroom. Participants will analyze how traditional labs differ from inquiry-based labs and investigate a system they can use to modify traditional labs to make them inquiry-based. Participants will develop the ability to confidently create inquiry-based labs that they can immediately use in their classrooms.
Participants will learn strategies for modifying traditional labs and incorporating inquiry-based labs into their AP Chemistry Curriculum.
After attending this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Examine current research and models of inquiry and understand differing lab structures.
- Identify the cognitive processes that students engage in during various laboratory investigations and the tasks that enable different levels of inquiry (confirmation, structured, guided, or open).
- Modify traditional labs to make them inquiry-based.
- Implement strategies for adapting the classroom experience for inquiry.
- Unit 1: Workshop Introduction
- Unit 2: Laying the Foundation
- Unit 3: What is Inquiry?
- Unit 4: Modifying Traditional Labs
- Unit 5: Modifying the Lab Experience for Inquiry
- Unit 6: Workshop Summary and Closing