Pre-AP Strategies in Science: Energy Systems
Expand your science teaching skills, techniques and knowledge in this workshop
This interactive workshop supports middle and high school teachers in designing integrated, theme-based instruction to prepare students for AP science courses. The strategies, activities and discussions in this workshop will help teachers identify concepts that extend across all science subjects. Through the implementation and clear articulation of concrete strategies, participants will gain a deeper understanding of the skills and knowledge students need at the Pre-AP level.
- Participants will learn to develop science curriculum around the unifying concept of energy.
After attending this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Align a curriculum to the unifying concepts found in the Science College Board Standards for College Success™.
- Leverage energy topics learned in one science course to provide essential background knowledge for another course.
- Implement activities to integrate the energy systems theme in their classroom.
- Welcome and Introductions
- Laying the Foundation (Workshop Guiding Question, Building Equity and Access, Introduction to Theme-Based Instruction)
- Energy Concepts—Transfers and Transformations
- Energy Concepts—Kinetic Versus Potential Energy
- Energy Concepts—Light Energy
- Workshop Summary and Closing