Pre-AP® Strategies in Science: Inquiry-Based Laboratories
Expand your science teaching skills, techniques and knowledge in this workshop
This one-day workshop is intended for middle and high school teachers who will learn to design laboratory experiences beyond the scientific method. Participants will incorporate inquiry-based techniques within their traditional lab settings to foster critical thinking in students.
The workshop conforms to the College Board's mission, particularly in promoting access and equity; the National Research Council's National Science Education Standards; the American Association for the Advancement of Science's (AAAS) Benchmarks for Science Literacy; and to AP science courses standards and skills.
- This workshop will illustrate the practical differences between traditional and inquiry-based labs, and help participants modify their own labs to include more inquiry-based strategies.
After attending this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Identify the basic characteristics of an inquiry-based lab and analyze how they are different from those of a traditional lab.
- Modify traditional labs to fit within an inquiry-based science curriculum.
- Foster inquiry and reasoning using research-based instructional strategies.
- Welcome and Introductions
- Laying the Foundation (Workshop Guiding Question, Equity and Access)
- Using Inquiry to Engage in Science Practice
- Modifying Traditional Labs
- Workshop Summary and Closing