Pre-AP® Strategies: AP Vertical Teams® in Science
Expand your science teaching skills, techniques and knowledge in this workshop
This two-day workshop is intended for middle and high school teachers who will be forming and/or strengthening an AP Vertical Team. Participants will develop research-based strategies for engaging students in science practices, align curriculum, and create an action plan for their AP Vertical Team.
The workshop conforms to the College Board's mission, particularly in promoting access and equity; National Science Teachers Association (NSTA) standards (.pdf/124K); National Science Foundation (NSF) standards; and to AP science courses standards and skills. Requires Adobe Reader (latest version recommended).
- Participants will learn how to align a curriculum through research-based methods of instruction, in order to build students' scientific skills and knowledge.
After attending this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Expand their knowledge of how to build students' scientific reasoning skills through research-based instruction by:
- Teaching science practices.
- Building students' understanding of unifying concepts.
- Creating a learner-centered classroom.
- Vertically align science curriculum by:
- Using the College Board's Science Curriculum Alignment Guide.
- Making connections of unifying concepts and science practices across disciplines.
- Create an Action Plan for launching or strengthen their AP Vertical Team.
- Welcome and Introductions
- Laying the Foundation (Workshop Guiding Question, Equity and Access, Overview of Vertical Teams)
- Research-Based Instruction
- Curricular Alignment
- Sustaining the Vertical Team
- Workshop Summary and Closing