AP European History
For new and experienced AP teachers, this workshop includes College Board resources, released exams and student samples
After attending this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Align their instruction with the goals of the AP European History course
- Identify the skills and knowledge that the exam will assess, and identify the tasks and materials for which students might need more preparation
- Draft a syllabus that meets the curricular requirements for the course
- Make equitable access a guiding principle in designing instruction
At every AP European History workshop held by the College Board, each participant receives a copy of the Workshop Handbook, which contains:
- AP European History Course Description
- AP Course Audit information
- Sample syllabus for AP European History and a Syllabus Development Guide
- AP European History free-response materials (student samples, scoring guidelines and commentary)
- Multiple-choice questions and answers from the AP European History 2009 Released Exam
Curriculum Module: Teaching Post-Cold War Europe
This curriculum module is intended to aid teachers with instruction on one of the more difficult periods addressed in the course. These articles have been developed by veteran AP European History instructors. The first article, "Post–Cold War Western Europe," provides direction through the changes and challenges Europe has faced since the collapse of the Soviet Union. The second, "Casting a Giant Shadow," discusses how the political changes in post-Soviet Russia, while seeming new and radical, echo an earlier period of Russian history. Finally, the module provides two lesson plans for classroom activities.
Note: Curriculum module materials reflect important topics in AP courses, and the materials are meant to provide teachers with resources and classroom ideas. However, curriculum module materials should not be taken as an indication that a particular topic will appear on the AP Exam.