Pre-AP Strategies in History and the Social Sciences: Crafting Historical Arguments
Learn strategies to help students develop essential writing skills
For middle and high school teachers, this one-day workshop presents strategies for improving students' writing skills in history and the social sciences, focusing specifically on prewriting and structuring an argument. Participants will identify where students face the greatest challenges and develop strategies to help them acquire the writing skills necessary for college-level work.
Participants will learn strategies to help their students develop essential writing skills.
After attending this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Understand the challenges students face in developing and presenting historical arguments
- Help students use "prewriting" to develop historical arguments
- Use strategies to help students write essays that clearly evaluate evidence and present historical arguments
- Welcome and Introductions
- Student Challenges in AP Essay Writing
- Question Modes in the History Curriculum
- Preparing Students to Write
- Developing Students Writing Skills
- Workshop Summary and Closing