Pre-AP® Strategies: AP Vertical Teams® in History and the Social Sciences
Expand your history and social sciences teaching skills, techniques and knowledge in this workshop
This two-day workshop is intended for middle and high school teachers who will be forming and/or strengthening an AP® Vertical Team. Participants will learn research-based strategies for engaging students, align a curriculum and create an action plan for their AP Vertical Team.
The workshop conforms to the College Board's mission, particularly in promoting access and equity; National Council for the Social Studies (NCSS) standards ; and to AP social studies standards and skills.
- Participants will learn how to align a curriculum in order to build students' proficiencies in AP history and social science courses.
After attending this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Implement a skills-based approach to curriculum development.
- Align history and social sciences curriculum across grade levels.
- Build an AP Vertical Team or strengthen an existing one.
- Create an action plan for their Vertical Teams.
- Welcome and Introductions
- Laying the Foundation (Workshop Guiding Question, Equity and Access, Overview of Vertical Teams)
- Research-Based Instructional Practices
- Curricular Alignment
- Sustaining the Vertical Team
- Workshop Summary and Closing