AP German Language and Culture
For new and experienced AP teachers
After attending this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Apply concrete strategies for designing and implementing an effective AP German Language and Culture curriculum, drawing from the Curriculum Framework
- Develop activities and assessments that present language in cultural context, appropriately build students' proficiencies in the modes of communication as defined in the Standards for Foreign Language Learning in the 21st Century and integrate "authentic materials" into language instruction
- Implement strategies to effectively prepare students for the AP exam
- Develop or revise a syllabus to align with course requirements
Each participant will receive a copy of the Workshop Handbook, which contains:
- AP German Language and Culture Course and Exam Description
- AP Course Audit information
- Sample syllabus for AP German Language and Culture and a Syllabus Development Guide
- AP German Language and Culture Practice Exam
Curriculum Module: Das Leben in einer digitalen Welt
Science and technology is one of the six themes in the AP German Language and Culture curriculum. This curriculum module addresses the technology aspect of this theme, examining multiple aspects of technology, with a focus on critical thinking and teaching content through language. The curriculum module explores essential questions that address four distinct issues: behavior and cellphone use, the communication modalities appropriate for specific situations, the effects of social networks and protection in an online environment. The lesson draws from authentic audio, visual, audiovisual and written materials, incorporating culture into the classroom while developing students' Interpretive, Interpersonal and Presentational Communication skills.
- Lesson 1: Wie verhält man sich anders in einer digitalen Welt?
- Lesson 2: Welche Form elektronischer Kommunikation passt zu welcher Situation?
- Lesson 3: Soziale Netzwerke: Freund oder Feind?
- Lesson 4: Wie kann man sich online schützen?
- Summative Assessment
Note: Curriculum module materials reflect important topics in AP courses, and the materials are meant to provide teachers with resources and classroom ideas. However, curriculum module materials should not be taken as an indication that a particular topic will appear on the AP Exam.