Pre-AP® Strategies: AP Vertical Teams® in World Languages and Cultures
Improve language teaching skills, techniques and knowledge in this workshop
This two-day workshop is intended for middle and high school teachers who will be forming and/or strengthening an AP® Vertical Team. Participants will develop standards-based instructional strategies for engaging students, align a curriculum and create an action plan for their AP Vertical Teams.
- Participants will learn how to align curriculum in order to develop students' linguistic and cultural proficiencies in AP world language and culture courses.
After attending this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Implement a thematic approach to instruction using standards-based strategies for curriculum development.
- Align a world language and culture curriculum vertically across grade levels.
- Build an AP Vertical Team or strengthen an existing one.
- Create an action plan for their AP Vertical Team.
- Understand and incorporate the National Standards for Foreign Language Learning in the 21st Century within a thematic curricular alignment.
- Transfer new strategies to classroom practice.
- Welcome and Introductions
- Laying the Foundation (Workshop Guiding Question, Equity and Access, Overview of AP Vertical Teams)
- A Thematic Approach to Language Instruction
- Curriculum Alignment
- Sustaining the Vertical Team
- Workshop Summary and Closing