World Language Exams
Special equipment and procedures
You may administer AP Exams in world languages in a regular classroom, a language lab, or a computer lab. Make sure the room you plan to use has all of the necessary equipment and that all the correct materials are ordered.
AP Coordinators must prepare for the recording portion of the AP French, German, Italian, and Spanish Language Exams:
- Select the method students will use to record their responses for the speaking portion of the exams, i.e., tape, digital language lab, or computer.
- Hold several practice recording sessions so that you, the AP teachers, your school's technical staff (if applicable), the proctors, and the students gain a full understanding of the process.
- Encourage AP teachers to practice recording student responses using the method that will be used on exam day throughout the academic year. This way, students will become familiar with the process and confident about using it.
- Make sure that students practice with released free-response questions and short-answer questions from the course and exam descriptions available on AP Central®.
- Have proctors practice saving and naming MP3 files and burning the files to CD before the exam administration.
- Give proctors a way to cross-reference students' AP numbers to ensure that the proper files are burned on each CD.
- Remind proctors that they will need to check all students' CDs to make sure that the MP3 files were burned properly and that the files can be played.
- Work with your school's administration to establish a quiet testing environment. Refrain from using bells and making PA announcements during testing, if possible, and ensure that proctors do not converse with other staff during the exam.
Each school's order for AP Exams in world languages contains at least one master listening and one master speaking CD. Some schools administer the speaking sections of the exams in multiple locations. If you plan to do this, you should order the same number of master speaking CDs as you will have testing locations. You can order additional master CDs when you order your AP Exams online.
- CD player: You will need a high-quality CD player with speakers to play the listening and speaking master CDs. If you are recording the speaking portion in more than one room, you will need a CD player at each of these locations.
- Tape recorder, computer, handheld digital recording devices , or other recording equipment
- Refer to the AP Coordinator's Manual for full instructions and procedures for preparing for and administering the AP Exams in world languages.
- Schools may also download specific exam instructions for recording student responses on computer.
AP Chinese and Japanese Exams on CD
AP Chinese Language and Culture and AP Japanese Language and Culture Exams are delivered on CD. Detailed information about administering these exams, including hardware and software requirements, is available in the AP Coordinator’s Manual and AP Exam Instructions book.
- AP Chinese Language and Culture Exam Overview: This presentation provides students with a preview of the question types and directions screens they'll see on exam day – available soon.
- AP Japanese Language and Culture Exam Overview: This presentation provides students with a preview of the question types and directions screens they'll see on exam day – available soon.