Recording Student Responses Using a Computer
Instructions and important information
If you plan to administer the recorded portion of any AP Exam in world languages or the AP Music Theory Exam using a PC or a Mac, follow the links below to access:
- Exam instructions for schools that choose to use their own MP3 software.
- Installation and configuration instructions for Audacity®, a software product for PC or Mac that may help AP Coordinators and proctors record audio from a computer sound card to hard disk in MP3 file format. *
- Software-specific exam scripts.
These instructions are for Section II, Part B: speaking or sight-singing only. Begin the instructions after the conclusion of Section II, Part A of the exam. Use the instructions in the appropriate AP Exam Instructions book for the rest of the exam. Note: These instructions can be used for both regularly-scheduled and late-testing exams.
Using your school's existing MP3 recording software
Using Audacity MP3 recording software
Note: Microsoft Windows 8 is not supported for the 2013 AP exam administration.
- Installation Instructions for Audacity MP3 Recorder for Windows
- Installation Instructions for Audacity MP3 Recorder for Mac
- Recording Music Theory Responses Using Audacity for Windows
- Recording Music Theory Responses Using Audacity for Mac
- Recording World Languages Responses Using Audacity for Windows
- Recording World Languages Responses Using Audacity for Mac
If you experience any technical problems during the installation, configuration, or use of Audacity, assistance is available to your school's staff.
Phone: Call the toll-free AP Coordinator hotline at (877) 274-6474 and select the menu option for "technical assistance to install and use AP audio software for world language and Music Theory exams." Schools outside the United States and Canada should call (609) 771-7300. Customer service is available from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday. Outside of these hours, you may wish to send an email.
* This is not an AP Program or ETS endorsement of this product. If you experience any problems during installation or configuration of this software product only, technical assistance is available to your school's staff.