Student Search Service
Connecting students to colleges and scholarships via the PSAT/NMSQT
When students take the PSAT/NMSQT, the College Board's Student Search Service (SSS) allows them the option to provide their names and information to colleges and scholarship programs that are looking for students like them.
Through this free service, millions of students have opted to receive information about admissions, financial aid and other postsecondary opportunities without being solicited by commercial entities.
Students consistently report that while they enjoy receiving information about familiar colleges and universities, they especially enjoy hearing from colleges and universities with which they were previously unfamiliar. This is particularly the case for students currently underrepresented in higher education and students from first-generation college families.
More than 1,100 colleges, universities and scholarship programs use SSS every year to find the right students for their programs, scholarships and special activities. Through SSS, they can address diversity, be more inclusive in their recruiting efforts and can reach out to students who might not otherwise be aware of postsecondary opportunities.
SSS in a nutshell
- SSS is free to students.
- Students' participation is voluntary and they must actively opt in during exam registration.
- Only accredited colleges, universities, nonprofit scholarship agencies and nonprofit educational opportunity organizations may participate in the SSS program.
- Scores, course grades, telephone numbers, and social security numbers are not released.
- Absolutely no commercial advertising of any sort is permitted in information sent to students by participating institutions.
- More than 1,100 four-year colleges, universities and scholarship organizations utilize SSS to reach out to students every year.
- Students may remove their name, email address, or both from the service at any time by calling (866) 499-5357 or by emailing the College Board's Student Search Service (SearchCustomerService@collegeboard.com).
Encourage your students to sign up for Student Search Service by selecting this option on the PSAT/NMSQT answer sheet so they can take advantage of this convenient and easy way to learn more about their college opportunities.
Other College Board exams with SSS opt in options:
- AP® (Advanced Placement)
- SAT Subject Tests™
- PSSS (Preliminary SAT Scoring Service)