Test-Takers in 8th Grade and Below
Helping younger students take the SAT®
Anyone may take the SAT®, regardless of age. Some restrictions do apply, however, to students in 8th grade and below.
No permanent scores unless requested
If a student tests in the 8th grade or below, the scores are purged at the end of the testing year. Students can ask to preserve their scores as part of their permanent record if they choose. Tell them to submit a request in writing:
- Before the end of June of the year in which they tested
- Including full name, registration number, and test date
- Addressed to:
The College Board SAT Program
Attention: Talent Search Scores
P.O. Box 025505
Miami, FL 33102
Test-takers in 8th grade or below
Students in 8th grade or below are not required to provide their photo during registration and should not do so.
Due to Internet privacy laws, students younger than 13 years of age cannot register online. Give them The Paper Registration Guide for the SAT and SAT Subject Tests so they can complete the paper Registration Form. Please go here for complete coverage of our new test security enhancements.
Talent identification students
Students testing as part of a talent search program need to submit additional documentation along with their Registration Form—this can only be done by mail. Some talent search programs provide customized test center lists to their applicants as well. Visit the individual program sites for more information:
- Center for Talented Youth (Johns Hopkins University)
- Duke Talent Identification Program (Duke University)
- Iowa Talent Search (Iowa State University)
- Midwest Talent Search (Northwestern University)
- Rocky Mountain Talent Search (University of Denver)