SAT Subject Tests
What are the SAT Subject Tests?
SAT Subject Tests are the only national admission tests that measure students' knowledge and skills in particular subject areas, and their ability to apply that knowledge. They are closely linked to the high school curriculum and have a proven track record of providing colleges with a highly reliable, objective assessment of student readiness for college-level work. The SAT Subject Tests give students an additional opportunity to distinguish themselves and showcase their skills in a particular subject area.
Helping colleges objectively assess student knowledge and skills
A student's high school grades and course selection are excellent indicators of how well that student is going to do in college. But course content and grading standards vary widely among high schools, making it difficult for colleges to compare the academic records of their applicants. How can colleges effectively and objectively assess a student's mastery of specific content areas?
Educators trust the SAT Subject Tests as a useful part of the college application process because they are:
- Highly reliable and valid
- A recognized, accurate measure of college readiness and subject-area knowledge
- A proven method for placing and advising students based on their individual academic preparation
- A way for students to show their thorough knowledge of a certain subject, as well as their academic interest and determination to succeed
Each year, nearly 500,000 students take SAT Subject Tests to demonstrate their mastery of particular subjects. Colleges across the country use the tests as a common and objective scale for evaluating a student's mastery of specific content areas.
Helping your students with the SAT Subject Tests
Help your students choose the Subject Tests that will best demonstrate their knowledge and skills to colleges. Help them learn about and succeed on the tests by assisting them to:
- Understand the SAT Subject Tests
- Understand what subjects are offered, how the tests are developed, and when they should take them
- Find the best ways to practice for the SAT Subject Tests
- Access free and low-cost resources the College Board offers educators and students to better understand and get ready for the SAT Subject Tests
- Register for the test and find: