Cancellations & Changes
To protect the validity and fairness of the SAT and SAT Subject Tests, the College Board has instituted some important changes to registration and test-day requirements for 2012-13.
Making Registration Changes
Students cannot change the name they registered under, their date of birth, their gender or their photo once the registration has been processed. Refer students to Customer Service if they detect errors after submitting their registrations.
Once a registration is submitted, it cannot be canceled, and the test fees are not refundable.
Correcting the registration
The following changes to the registration information can be made online or by calling Customer Service no more than nine days after the published test date:
- Mailing address
- Phone number
- Email address
- Score recipients (only the first four are free)
Changing the test center, test date, or test type
Test date, test center and test type changes must be made in advance; these changes cannot be made on test day. Students can make changes up through the date listed on their Admission Ticket (generally the published late registration deadline for the test date). Changes to the test center or test date can be made online through the student’s free account or by calling Customer Service. They will need a credit card to pay the additional fee. Remind them to have the following ready:
- Registration number
- Test date
- Credit card number and expiration date
Students must always reprint their Admission Ticket if they make any changes to the registration information.
Changes allowed on test day
On test day, students can change which SAT Subject Tests they are taking. However, students cannot add a Language with Listening Test on test day.
There are specific deadlines for making changes for students testing in the US and different deadlines for making changes for students testing outside the US. The deadline for making changes is also noted on the Admission Ticket.
Please note that only one listening test can be taken on test day.
Students who received late approval of SSD accommodations normally given in the center may be able to change from standard to nonstandard testing if space, staff and materials are available.
Special circumstances for changes
Special circumstances for changes include:
- Students who have registered with a fee waiver may change to a new test date, but they will be charged the test date change fee.
- SSD students who are testing with accommodations that require them to test at their school under the supervision of the SSD Coordinator, need to make changes through their SSD Coordinators and the Services for Students with Disabilities office, due to the test-taker specific materials involved.
Alternate date testing
A school may request alternate testing arrangements if a school-sponsored event unexpectedly conflicts with an SAT administration date. All of the following conditions must apply:
- The activity must be sponsored by the school. Events scheduled by outside clubs, recreational leagues, or organizations do not qualify.
- The scheduling conflict must be unexpected. This includes advancement in an athletic league or academic competition beyond the regular competition. Proms and other regularly scheduled events are not considered unexpected and do not qualify.
- Students must already be registered to take the test on the date in question.
- Only the school principal can request an alternate test date. The request must be submitted on school letterhead.
- Once a student's registration has been changed to the alternate test date, he or she cannot switch back to the original date, even if the original reason for alternate date testing does not materialize.
- For more information, go to the Downloads and Materials Ordering page to view, download and/or print the Alternate Test Date flyer.