Because parents and students cannot order exams directly, the AP Program encourages schools to assist homeschooled students and students whose schools do not offer AP courses and exams. Schools that agree to administer exams to these students should note the following:
- Locating a school: Once a parent or student locates a school willing to administer the exam(s), that school's AP Coordinator is responsible for ordering the necessary exam materials and informing the student when and where to report for the exams. The Coordinator should make sure to record the exams the student plans to take.
- Exam fees: Coordinators should collect and submit these students' exam fees with those of the Coordinator's school. Coordinators may negotiate a higher exam fee with these students to recover additional proctoring or administration costs.
- Photo ID: Coordinators should remind these students to bring valid photo identification, which must be checked on exam day.
- Exclusion from your school's score reports: Because these students will be using a different school code, their exam scores will not be included with the administering school's score reports.
- Necessary accommodations: Any home-schooled student with documented disabilities must first be approved for testing accommodations by the College Board. The student must also notify the school that accommodations may be needed.
How home-schooled students can arrange for testing
Students can arrange to test at participating schools by following the steps below (students in mainland China should contact email@example.com):
- Contact AP Services no later than March 1 to get the names and telephone numbers of local AP Coordinators. Students should prepare a list of the exams they plan to take prior to calling so that the appropriate Coordinators can be identified.
- Contact the Coordinators identified by AP Services no later than March 15.
Students should inform each Coordinator they contact that:
- They are trying to locate a school willing to administer AP Exams to outside students. Students should note the exams they plan to take.
- They will use the state homeschool code provided by the Coordinator on the day of the exam, ensuring their exam score(s) will be reported separately from the school at which they test.