Scripts and instructions for AP Exam day
The AP Exam Instructions book contains the specific scripts and instructions for administering AP Exams. The book, which is included in each school's exam shipment, includes a sample completed answer sheet, a seating plan for exams with scrambled multiple-choice sections, an Irregularities of Administration table, and an Irregularity Report Form.
Coordinators and proctors: Click on the links below to access exam instructions you can use for both regularly scheduled exams and late-testing exams.
- UPDATE: All schools must now complete a seating chart for every exam they administer and retain it for at least six months. Schools may use either the 11-digit serial number of the exam booklets or students' full names on the seating charts.
- All exams (except Chinese Language and Culture, Japanese Language and Culture, and Studio Art) must begin with either General Instructions I or General Instructions II.
- The scripts for the AP French, German, Italian, and Spanish Language and Culture Exams and the AP Music Theory Exam include instructions for recording on a computer with MP3 software. Supplemental information for recording MP3 files using the software program Audacity is available here .
- REMINDER: Schools outside the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands administering AP Calculus AB, Calculus BC, and/or U.S. History Exams must seat students no less than five feet apart. The instructions in the following AP Exam Instructions documents reference scrambled multiple-choice sections for these exams, which allow students to be seated four feet apart. However, these exams given outside the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands do not have scrambled multiple-choice sections. Therefore, students must be seated no less than five feet apart.
For information about holding a preadministration session, download the new AP Preadministration Instructions booklet.
For all other information concerning the AP Exam administration, consult the AP Coordinator's Manual.
Introduction, General Instructions, Reporting Irregularities:
- Introduction and Sample Answer Sheet (.pdf/645KB)
- General Instructions I and II (.pdf/171KB)
- Administration Incidents Table, Incident Report Form, and Seating Chart (.pdf/1.76MB)
Exam Instructions by Subject:
- Art History (.pdf/198KB)
- Biology (.pdf/154KB)
- Calculus AB and Calculus BC (.pdf/175KB)
- Chemistry (.pdf/155KB)
- Chinese Language and Culture (.pdf/186B)
- Computer Science A (.pdf/151KB)
- Economics (Macroeconomics and Microeconomics) (.pdf/156KB)
- English Language and Composition (.pdf/156KB)
- English Literature and Composition (.pdf/154KB)
- Environmental Science (.pdf/151KB)
- European History (.pdf/160KB)
- French Language and Culture (.pdf/258KB)
- German Language and Culture (.pdf/257KB)
- Government and Politics: Comparative (.pdf/151KB)
- Government and Politics: United States (.pdf/151KB)
- Human Geography (.pdf/152KB)
- Italian Language and Culture (.pdf/258KB)
- Japanese Language and Culture (.pdf/185KB)
- Latin (.pdf/154KB)
- Music Theory (.pdf/264KB)
- Physics 1 and 2: Algebra-Based (.pdf/160KB)
- Physics C: Electricity and Magnetism (.pdf/155KB)
- Physics C: Mechanics (.pdf/166KB)
- Psychology (.pdf/150KB)
- Spanish Language (.pdf/266KB)
- Spanish Literature and Culture (.pdf/163KB)
- Statistics (.pdf/156KB)
- Studio Art (.pdf/160KB)
- United States History (.pdf/178KB)
- World History (.pdf/158KB)